The CTI’s flagship program is the Market Incubator Program (MIP), a marketing and packaging forum for long-running series projects that offers selected Caribbean and Diaspora producers an opportunity to hone their creative and business skills in the context of an international marketplace environment.
The MIP includes six to eight (6-8) weeks of online training, and one (1) week of intensive workshops in Toronto. It culminates in the ‘Big Pitch’ that takes place at the TIFF Bell Lightbox during the Toronto International Film Festival, bringing together international industry delegates to vote on the best projects.
Winners of the Big Pitch graduate to the 9-month CTI Production Support Program (PSP) that takes projects from pitch to production.
The program includes specialized sessions led by international film professionals and consultants, and provides the following opportunities:
- 6-8 weeks of intensive online market preparation
- 1 week of workshops in Toronto
- Networking opportunities and guided integration during the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF)
- The Exclusive CTI: The Big Pitch! A pitching session with industry professionals participating TIFF
- Pitch winners will have their projects supported through the CTI Production Support Program (PSP)
- Selected PSP projects will be chosen to participate in FLOW’s Pilot Production Program (PPP) to receive funding towards their pilot.
Participating in the 2016 CaribbeanTales Incubator was an overwhelmingly positive experience. The combined feedback from incubator mentors help me hone in on the need to figure out my character’s “want,” which drastically improved my project’s story potential as well as my pitch. My biggest takeaway from the program is a heightened sense of responsibility in light of viewing my career goals within the larger context of building the Caribbean’s film and television industry.
There was a sense of camaraderie that we experienced near the end of the workshops when we really started to help each other out with tips and moral support before and after the Big Pitch.
The whole process made us also connect with old and new filmmakers and contacts back at home and revived a project we wanted to do for a long time.
The privilege one gains as a valued member of the Incubator is priceless. And when it’s over, you certainly knew why you were chosen in the first place, and how your life in film will change.